PUBLIC SPEAKING AND DEBATE:
SKILLS for HIGHER LEARNING and LIFE!
Debate Camp provides one week summer camp programs in Public Speaking, Debating and Model United Nations for students eager for new ideas and a boost in their skills, confidence, and ability with the spoken word!
Since 2002 we have helped thousands of young people become better advocates for their ideas, develop strong persuasion and public speaking skills and ultimately feel empowered to speak well to a variety of audiences.
FOR 2017: Our DAY CAMP location at Kingswood-Oxford School in West Hartford, June 19 - 23 - perfect for grades 5 to 10.
August 13 - 19: Our popular overnight camp - with bus service from MA in Stanstead, Quebec for kids in grades 7 to 11. We look forward to meeting your thinkers - and inspiring skills development in speech and debate; valuable for life!
DEBATE CAMP is built for everyone, with a levelled program for the novice speaker to those with competative experience. All campers develop skills in:
• effective structure of a good debate
• brainstorming and case construction
• refutation and counterpoints
• effective delivery - all speeches
• efficient research skills
• stance, rebuilding and summary points
• effective teamwork
Our PUBLIC SPEAKING program delivers skills-specific workshops on:
• effective ways to brainstorm a topic
• how to build audience interest and attention
• how to organize subtopics and transitions
• effective practice techniques
• delivery strategies
• effective use of humour
Our MODEL UNITED NATIONS program enhances the skills development at camp by:
• opening young minds to global issues
• providing examples in support of debate cases
• teaching the skills of consensus building
• ensuring campers learn to work well in teams
• teaching the value of diplomacy