Butterfly Encounter at the Connecticut Science Center!
varies, see below
admission + $6 (non members)
Ages0-15 months 15 months - 2 years 2-3 years 4-5 years 6-8 years 9-12 years Teenagers All Ages Adults & kids together
Butterfly Encounter is an all-new, must-see destination within the Connecticut Science Center. Become immersed in a lush tropical habitat surrounded by hundreds of butterflies (at the most glorious stage of their fascinating life cycle) moving freely throughout the exhibit. Guests of all ages will be delighted as they experience 40-50 different species of butterflies through intimate interaction all set in a unique, custom-designed greenhouse. Separate ticket required.
- All-season butterfly habitat and greenhouse.
- Experience 40-50 different species free flying. New species added weekly to showcase their amazing diversity.
- Watch butterflies emerge from their chrysalis, and then be released. Observe the magic of the final stage of metamorphosis.
- The average temperature inside this tropical exhibit is 80°F with around 80% humidity.
- Epiphyte Tree – Our Epiphyte “tree” provides a beautiful centerpiece inside the Butterfly Encounter and hosts a variety of epiphytes (air plants) including bromeliads and orchids. Epiphytes are organisms that grow on the surface of a plant and obtain nutrients from the air or moisture.
- More than 30 different species of plants chosen specifically with our butterflies in mind.
- With butterflies from South Asia and Costa Rica, our butterflies are a part of a global sustainability effort that is not only saving the forest but also boosting economies.
Open Tuesday–Friday: 1 - 4 pm
Weekends & Holidays: 11 am – 4 pm
Last entry at 3:30 pm Daily